In an announcement of 12th October 1810 it was stated that
"the Establishment is meant to combine the most complete security to the public in their Banking operations with the advancement of the Trading, Manufacturing, and Agricultural interests of this part of the United Kingdom. The business will be commenced in Edinburgh, but, as it is intended to be more a national than local Establishment, branches or agencies will be gradually established in the principal districts."
Premises in Picardy Place, at the north east corner of Leith Walk, were purchased for £6,000 and the Commercial Bank of Scotland commenced business on 3rd December 1810 with capital of £3,000,000 divided into 6,000 shares of £500 each.
The Chief Promoters and the first Directors of the Bank were as follows.
John Pitcairn of Pitcairns, Merchant, Edinburgh,
Henry Boog, Dundas Street, Edinburgh,
Henry Cockburn, Advocate,
Archibald Campbell, Brewer, Edinburgh,
Thomas Burns, W.S.,
Forrest Alexander of Oakfield, Merchant, Edinburgh,
John Anderson of Gladswood,
David George Sandeman of Springfield, Merchant, Edinburgh,
Robert Scott, Druggist, Edinburgh,
Matthew Montgomerie, Writer, Edinburgh,
Alexander Pitcairn, Merchant, Edinburgh,
James Wyld of Gilston, Merchant, Leith,
Alexander Liston Ramage, W.S.,
Walter Brown, Merchant, Edinburgh, afterwards Lord Provost,
James Erskine of Cambus and Tillicoultry, Advocate, and
John Pollok, W.S. Manager.
The first Chief Officials were:-
John Pollok, W.S., Manager,
Edward Robertson, Secretary (previously employed by Bank of Scotland),
John MacGregor, Cashier (previously employed by British Linen Company Bank),
Robert Paul, Accountant (previously employed by Messrs. Ramsays, Bonar & Co.).
The first London Agents of the Bank were Messrs. Bruce, Simson & Co.
The following officials have been identified from letters in the collection. Where possible notes have been added.
Robert Paul. Per letter of 14th November 1826 to Messrs. Perkins & Heath. Appointed Accountant in 1810; Secretary, 31st July 1823; Manager, December 1835; Retired December 1853; Director 1853; Died, 16th July 1866.
James Sinclair Cunningham. Per letter dated 22nd June 1844 to Messrs. Perkins, Bacon & Petch. Head Office, 29th July 1813; Inspector of Branches, August 1823; General Superintendent of Branches, 28th February 1825; Secretary, 10th December 1835; Manager, December 1853; Died at Meggatland House, Edinburgh, 5th September 1856.